Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Sensory Overload



Buonasera!  Good evening from Rome everyone!   As I write this post, I am sitting next to the window of my third floor apartment in Trastevere, up above the bustling nightlife atmosphere of Vicolo de Cinque.  I smell the thick and hearty aroma of oven-baked pizza blended with the familiar flavor of cigarette smoke as it wafts up past my window.  I hear snippets of Italian being thrown around at the tables below, a classical violininist playing at the far street corner, and the occasional automobile rumbling by on the rough cobblestone alleyway.  I took the picture below just a few moments ago.






As it happens, the area where we are living seems to be one of the liveliest parts of Rome at the moment.  My roommate Jacob and I were surprised to see all the activity after we returned from a relatively quiet stroll down the Via Giulia – which has historically been one of Rome’s main thoroughfares (Bramante was charged with its rejuvenation during Renaissance times) -- earlier this evening.  All of the energy here in Trastevere has inspired me to write this post – though I must admit that I am very close to passing out due to exhaustion!


  Twelve hours of flight time, six hours of waiting in the airport, and three meagre hours of sleep later; I arrived here in Rome – more specifically at Fiumicino International Airport – at about 9 a.m. this morning Rome time.  Since then, I’ve been introduced to my apartment and the neighborhood, allowed to rest for a few hours, and then treated to dinner this evening by the UARK Rome Center and its staff.


Jacob and I then explored our area of town a bit, and managed to capture this shot of St. Peter’s over the Ponte Sisto Bridge.  I really like this photo because it seems to embody the richly layered architecture that defines the Rome I have encountered so far.  Every great work of art here rests in the shadow of something far greater.  And from what I’ve heard, it only gets better from here. 







Thanks again for your kind attention in reading my blog!  This is the first time I’ve ever written about my experiences in real time, and I must say that it is quite exhilarating to know that some of you are along with me on my journey as I experience the incredible history and culture of the Eternal City.  That’s all for now!  Stay tuned for more soon!


-Brock DeMark








3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looking forward to following your journey!!!

    ReplyDelete